You are here
Mark A. Reed
Associate Director, Yale Institute for Nanoscience and Quantum Engineering
Investigation of electronic transport in nanoscale and mesoscopic systems, artificially structured materials and devices, molecular scale electronic transport, plasmonic transport in nanostructures, and chem/bio nanosensors.
Fellow, IEEE (2009)
IEEE Pioneer Award in Nanotechnology (2007)
Fellow, Canadian Institute for Advanced Research (2006)
Fellow, American Physical Society (2003)
YSEA Award for Advancement of Basic and Applied Science (2002)
Fujitsu ISCS Quantum Device Award (2001)
Syracuse University Distinguished Alumni Award (2000)
Harold Hodgkinson Professor of Engineering and Applied Science, Yale University (1999)
DARPA ULTRA Most Significant Technical Achievement Award (1997)
Connecticut Academy of Science and Engineering (1996-present)
Who’s Who in the World (2000-present); in America (2000-present); in American Science and Engineering (1995-present)
Kilby Young Innovator Award (1994)
Senior Member IEEE
Fortune Magazine’s 12 most promising young scientists (1990)
Senior Member Technical Staff, TI (1988).
M. A. Reed, J. N. Randall, R. J. Aggarwal, R. J. Matyi, T. M. Moore, and A. E. Wetsel, âObservation of discrete electronic states in a zero-dimensional semiconductor nanostructureâ, Phys. Rev. Lett. 60, 535 (1988). (ISI citations (3/09): 579).
M. A. Reed, W. R. Frensley, R. J. Matyi, J. N. Randall, and A. C. Seabaugh, âRealization of a Three-Terminal Resonant Tunneling Device : The Bipolar Quantum Resonant Tunneling Transistor,â Appl. Phys. Lett. 54, 1034 (1989).
M.R. Deshpande, J.W. Sleight, M.A. Reed, R.G. Wheeler, and R.J. Matyi,âSpin splitting of single 0D impurity states in semiconductor heterostructure quantum wellsâ, Phys. Rev. Lett. 76, 1328 (1996).
M.A. Reed, C. Zhou, C.J. Muller, T.P. Burgin, and J.M. Tour, âConductance of a molecular junctionâ, Science 278, 252 (1997). (ISI citations (3/09): 1577).
J. Chen, M. A. Reed, A. M. Rawlett, and J. M. Tour, âLarge On-Off Ratios and Negative Differential Resistance in an Electronic Molecular Switchâ, Science, 286, 1550 (1999). (ISI citations (3/09): 1293).
M. A. Reed, J. Chen, A. M. Rawlett, D. W. Price, and J. M. Tour, âMolecular Random Access Memory Cellâ, Appl. Phys. Lett. 78, 3735 (2001).
Wenyong Wang, Takhee Lee, and M. A. Reed, âMechanism of Electron Conduction In Self-Assembled Alkanethiol Monolayer Devicesâ, Phys. Rev. B 68, 035416 (2003).
W. Wang, T. Lee, I. Kretzschmar, and M.A. Reed, âInelastic Electron Tunneling Spectroscopy of Alkanedithiol Self-Assembled Monolayersâ, Nano Lett. 4, 643 (2004).
W. Wang, T. Lee, and M.A. Reed, âElastic and Inelastic Electron Tunneling in Alkane Self-Assembled Monolayersâ, J. Phys. Chem. B. 108, 18398 (2004). (cover, feature article).
E. Stern, J.F. Klemic, D.A. Routenberg, P.N. Wyrembak, D.B. Turner-Evans, A.D. Hamilton, D.A. LaVan, T.M. Fahmy, and M.A. Reed, âLabel-free immunodetection with CMOS-compatible semiconducting nanowiresâ, Nature, 445, 519 (2007).
M. A. Reed, H. Song, et al, âObservation of molecular orbital gatingâ, Nature 462, 1039 (2009).
M. A. Reed, E. Stern et al, âLabel-free biomarker detection from whole bloodâ, Nature Nanotech 5, 138-142 (2010).
- "Mechanically Controllable Break (MCB) Transducer", 5751156, 1998: With Christian Muller and Chong Wu Zhou
- "Method for forming a film by selective area MOCVD growth", US05728215, 1998
- "Sub-Nanoscale Electronic Systems and Devices", US05589692, 1996
- "Sub-nanoscale electronic systems and devices", US05475341, 1995
- "Optically pumped quantum coupled devices", US05165065, 1992
- "Three terminal tunneling device and method", US05059545, 1991
- "Quantum-well logic using self-generated potentials", US04969018, 1990
- "Three terminal tunneling device and method", US04959696, 1990
- "Three-terminal quantum device", US04912531, 1990
- "Binary superlattice tunneling device and method", US04851886, 1989
- "Optically pumped quantum coupled devices", US04878104, 1989
- "Quantum device output switch", US04799091, 1989
- "Quantum-coupled device", EP00170044B1, 1989
- "Process for fabricating quantum-well devices", US04783427, 1988
- "Spatial light modulator", US04705361, 1987
- "Process for fabricating quantum-well devices utilizing etch and refill techniques", US04575924, 1986
- "Quantum device output switch", US04581621, 1986